BHAGYA SUKTAM FOR WEALTH
DR C L Prabhakar,
yuyam pata svastibhih sada nah.
This is a very important sukta of the Veda, a recitation of which right in the morning adds to the happiness and success of the endeavors of that day and further.
This text is found in the Yajurveda and has the mantra mixed with that of RV too. Bhaga is an aspect of the Sun known for Brilliance and guidance to the buddhi of the sadhakas. Actually the Sanskrit word Bhaga means wealth, prosperity and all that in entirety is deified in the name of the deity Bhaga. It is said’:
‘ bhagaeva bhagavagum me astu’
meaning the wealth be my priority and if I am endowed with it my life would be hopeful and fruitful A bhagavan is he who has six main qualities namely capacity to create annihilate, knows the destinies of all beings born and knows the kind of vidya and avidya, the main Vedanta- tenets..
Utpattim ca vinasam ca bhutanam agatim gatim
vetti vidyam avidyam ca sa vacyo bhagavan iti!!
Now the text of the veda sukta runs thus:
1 prataragnim pratarindragum havamahe pratarmitra varuna pratarasvinaa pratarbhagam Pushanam Bhramhanas patim
pratassoma muta rudragum huvema!!
2. Pratar jitam Bhaga mugragum Huvema vayam purtram aditeh yo vidhartaa,ardrascidyam manya manas turascit raja cidyam bhagam bhakshityaha.!
3. Bhagapranetar bhagasatyaradho bhagemaam dhiyam udavadadannah, bhaga prano janaya gobhirasvair bhagapranrubhir nruvantasyama!.
4. Utedanim bhagavantasyamota prapitva uta madhye anhnam utodita maghavan suryasya vayam devanagum sumatau syama!
5. Bhaga eva bhagavagumastu devaastena vayam bhagavantah ssyama tam tva bhaga sarva ijjo havimi sano bhaga pura eta bhaveha.!
6. Samadhvarayo ushaso namanta dadhikraveva sucaye padaya arvacinam vasuvidam bhaganno rathamivasva vajina avahantu!
7. Asvavati gomatir na ushaaso viravatis sadamucchantu bhadrah ghrutam duhanaa visvatah prapina yuyam pata ssvastibhissadanah!
8. Yo maagne bhaginagum santam athabhagam cikirshati abhagamagne tam kurumam agne bhaginam kuru.!!
The application (viniyoga) of this Hymn could be mere recitation). It is the mode of a simple vedaparayana. This sukta is recited as and when the doors of the temple or house are opened for the day in the morning. Also at times while nirmalya of the vigrahas are removed for further puja. The nirmalya is the share of Candisvara one of the Pramatha ganas (retinue)of lord Rudra. Infact after penance he got it as a boon. Even today in big temples like Guruvayoor Krishna temple and in Mahakala temple at Ujjain at nirmalya seva is a special kaimkarya.
2 The mantras of the sukta form also as the formulas for the Havana(yaga) in the name of that deity BHAGA .It is called as the Bhagya sukta homa to please suryaBhagavan who is all in all for the prosperity of everybody born on this Earth and elsewhere. Bhaga is known as Arogyam Vidvan. There are many applications (viniyogas) for the same .Let us note certain key expressions of the sukta which draw our attention for knowing its merit and importance. These also encourage us to make upasana of this sukta with sraddha. In the sukta we have the expressions:
1. rudragum huvema’ we invoke the deity lord Rudra also as a co participant to bless the devotee.Rudra is he who removes distress(rut dravayati iti rudhrah) Rudra is known in eleven in number technically and called as ekadasa rudrah. These Rudras are varied in functions and available in all the three Lokas committed to relieve people from stress, depression and dismay and provide them wealth of health and happiness here the particle’ gum’ is no meaning but signifies the character of Yajurveda)).
2 pranrubhih nruvantasyama(may we fare well among our own colleagues and in society. The deity would enthuse such that always the devotees get enough thinking to make him well acknowledged among his colleagues.
3 devanagum sumatau syama(may we be under the good books of our deities, our masters, the bosses and well-wishers which is adding to the attainment of required booty and happiness. Here sumati are the best favourabe opinions by the better people)
4. Bhaga pura eta bhaveha (May the lord Bhaga be the leader to us moving at the fore front of us in order to guide our way.
5 vajina avahntu( May the deities bring us all good gifts)
6 yuyam pata svastibhissadanah( You please protect us with all auspicious and health and deeds providing richness. It is to lead and extend always happiness to us and
7 finally the wish is ‘mam bhaginam kuru’(make me rich enough to help myself and others. In case anyone were to harm, he should be discouraged and removed from us .negativity in him ought not to dismay us.).
Hence it is worthwhile to dedicate our time in prayer to the Lord Bhaga with the employment of this sukta right in the morning before we start any serious work. In our Vedaadhyayana Kendra we have the practice of reciting this sukta as an opening sukta for our Vedic study in the class.
Usually people going to temple in the morning or priests while opening locks of the temple doors in the morning recite this as prayer to the great Lord Bhaga who make the day to dawn and activity to begin for all people.. He is further designated as the specific deity for luck, fortune and prosperity. He is all Light and brilliance by Himself. One could hope to be the richest owing to the grace of the Lord as per their karmic needs and necessities here and hereafter. There is prayer to Agni at the end with appeal that when we are abhagas, unlucky and unwealthy, make us lucky and wealthy. It is for a noble end.
The concept ‘vayam Bhagavanta syama’ is complimentary that life here and elsewhere would be fruitful and useful for helping others needy as well. It is goal for everybody’s living. Nishkarano bhagadevata upasitavyah’
The expressions occurring in the sukta are quite thought provoking. And may be subjected foruther analysis and understanding. Our veda vijana is ananta, definitely infinite. It is the wisdom source too.
Om tat sat